Our Farmer’s Share is made up of vegetables that are naturally beautiful but don’t meet traditional market cosmetic standards. Instead of going to compost, you can help with our country’s food waste problem while growing your bounty. The winter Farmer’s Share is made up of mostly sweet potatoes and carrots and is great for sharing with friends, cooking up a big batch for a dinner party, juicing and more! You can add onto your order for $7 with a vegetable share and $9 without a vegetable share.
Our founder Wen-Jay in a Local Roots beanie / Turnip, carrot and rutabaga roast
1. Get your hands on some Made By Lukas kale veggie burgers! Just Venmo Wen-Jay Ying $10 and include a note with your pickup location.
2. Be super stylish this winter in a Local Roots beanie! This soft and cozy hat will keep you warm and show off your support for local food. Order now for $25 and have it delivered to your site.
3. Bring a bag! If you get your share pre-bagged, don’t forget to bring a reusable bag with your name on it, and leave it with the barista at your site.
4. Pick your veggies! Help us choose what to include in upcoming season. Your input is what makes Local Roots different from other markets – we are all about power to the people and cooperatively made decision. Fill out the survey here!
5. Try this recipe! Maybe you tried a sample of our turnip, rutabaga and carrot roast at your site this week. Now, you can make it yourself! Find this recipe, and other recipes for carrots here.
Lots of love to everyone who takes time out of their day to send us kind words – it makes us so happy and incredibly proud of the work that we do. Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with your own testimonials of how we’ve affected your cooking habits, if you feel more connected to your food source, and anything else you feel inspired to share!
THIS WEEK’S SHARELIST
This is a weekly forecast of next week’s CSA. Please remember to bring your own bag!
This is a ‘Blue Week’ and features mushrooms, coffee, tea, fish, chicken, granola, pasta, chocolate, and gulten-free bread as well as all orders of bread, eggs, and milk.
Sweet Potatoes, 1 pound
Carrots, 1 pound
Turnips or purple radishes, 1 pound
Microgreens, 1 bag Taproot Farm, PA | Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farm
1 Juice Red Jacket Orchards
Lion’s mane Primordia Farms
Challah OR Whole Wheat Loaf Hot Bread Kitchen, Harlem
Sandwich bread Sans Bakery
1 bag Gimme! Coffee
1 Whole Chicken Wild Fox Farms, PA
2 whole porgy
1 porgy fillet Fulton Fish Market, caught on Judith Point, RI
Maker’s Choice Fine + Raw
1 bag Bread Alone
All orders Taproot Farm, PA
1/2 gallon Hudson Valley Fresh
INGREDIENT SPOTLIGHT: LION’S MANE MUSHROOMS
Also known as sheep’s head, bear’s head or Japanese yamabushitake, lion’s mane mushrooms have cascading spindles that make them look like – you guessed it – a lion’s mane. These mushrooms can often taste like shellfish, and they have many health benefits: they can improve brain function and mood.