Tomato, White Bean, Swiss Chard Soup
-From NYU Langone Medical Center – A Local Roots CSA Site-
Swiss Chard, 1 bunch, stems removed & leaves torn into pieces
Olive oil, 4 tbsp divided (+more for drizzling)
Whole peeled tomatoes, 1 28-ounce can, drained
Crushed red pepper, 1/2 tspn
Salt, to taste
Onion, 1, chopped
Fennel bulb, 1, cored & chopped
Garlic, 4 cloves, thinly sliced
Sherry vinegar, 1 tbsp
Low-sodium vegetable broth, 4 cups
Cooked white beans
1. Heat oil over medium high heat.
2. Add tomatoes, pepper flakes, and salt.
3. Cook until caramelized, almost blackened.
4. Add 2 tbsp oil in same pot over medium heat.
5. Add onion, fennel, and garlic.
6. Cook, stirring often, until veggies are soft and browning, 8-10 minutes.
7. Stir in vinegar and tomatoes, scraping up browned bits.
8. Drain beans and add to pot with both.
9. Bring to a simmer and season with salt.
10. Cook for 30-45 more minutes.
11. Add chard just before serving and cook until wilted.