Jersey Peach Short Cake
Recipe from our partner Department of Food & Nutrition Services at NYU Langone Medical Center
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus more for buttering the dish
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups plus 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup peach schnapps
- 8 peaches, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Generously butter a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the milk until frothy. Add the 1 1/3 cups of granulated sugar and beat at high speed until the mixture is thick and pale, about 7 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the beaten egg mixture, then fold in the melted butter until incorporated. Spread the batter in the prepared dish and bake in the center of the oven for about 30 minutes, until the cake is golden. Transfer to a rack and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar with the peach schnapps. Stir in the peaches and let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, whip the cream with the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until firm. Cut the shortcake into squares and serve with the peaches and whipped cream.
Homemade Peach Syrup
Recipe from Bloggheti
2 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of water
If you prefer a less-sweet syrup, decrease the sugar to ¾ cup but keep the water at 1 cup.
Basil or rosemary (optional)
1. Combine the 3 ingredients and herbs if using in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring a few times until all of the sugar is dissolved. Takes about 3-5 minutes.
2. At this point, remove pan from heat and cover. Let steep, covered for 25 minutes.
Then strain the peaches from the wonderful pink liquid. Let cool and pour into a bottle or glass container.
3. Keeps in the refrigerator for about two weeks. To use, pour about one tablespoon into your iced tea or add to seltzer water.
Peach Tahini Oat Muffins
recipe inspired by Trends on Trends
2 cups sliced peaches
1 cup oats
1 cup APF
½ cup whole wheat flour
1tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
1 Tablespoon cayanne
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 cup syrup
1 cup cashew milk
(or preferred milk)
¼ cup tahini
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbs olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix oats, flours, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix syrup, milk, tahini, eggs, and olive oil
2. Slowly add to dry ingredients. Fold in peaches and add mixture into greased muffin tin and top with finishing salt
3. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
2 ripe peaches chopped into cubes
1 small diced shallot
handful of parsley
1 garlic clove minced
¼ cup pineapple juice
2 limes juice
1 jalapeno minced
1.Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. Add salt to taste.
2.Cover with saran wrap and let sit for at least 30 minutes- 60 minutes.
Peach and Blueberry Galette:
1 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar for sprinkling
1 tsp. cinnamon for sprinkling on the crust
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 stick cold butter
3 Tbsp. water
2 cups blueberries
3 medium sized peaches sliced
1 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 fresh lemons juice
2 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice (clove, allspice, cinnamon, ginger)
1/2 tsp. of extra cinnamon and ginger
Make the crust:
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt. Pulse a few times just to combine.
2. Add butter and pulse until it is the size of peas.
3. Add water and pulse until dough comes together.
4. Form dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
5. On a piece of parchment paper lightly dusted with flour, roll out the dough to an 11-inch round.
6. Transfer the dough, on the parchment, to a baking sheet. Chill for 5 minutes.
Make the filling and assemble the pie:
1. Toss the blueberries and peaches with the sugar, spices, cornstarch and lemon juice.
2. Mound them up in the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border all around.
3. Fold the exposed edges of the dough over the berries.
4. Sprinkle the tart with sugar and cinnamon.
5. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 400°F.
7. Bake the galette until the fruit mixture is bubbling and the crust is golden brown, about 40-minutes.
8. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Half pound peaches
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons honey
4 cups dried fruit
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
salt pepper chili flakes
dash of cinnamon and coriander
1 tablespoon mustard
1. In a medium sauce pan, combine all of the ingredients except for mustard and bring to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and let sit on stove top until room temperature. Add mustard.
Enjoy cold with crackers, bread , cheese and charcuterie.
Basque Peach Almond Tart
3 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks of butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs and 3 yolks
1 cup almond flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb. peaches, sliced thinly
zest from 1 lemon
2 Tbsp. honey
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1. Heat the oven to 325 F.
2. Mix the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and cream together and then add the eggs and vanilla.
3. Mix together the flours, baking powder and salt, and then stir into the wet ingredients above.
4. Combine and form into 2 even disks, wrap and chill for at least an hour.
5. Roll out both disks. Place one of the disks in a 9-inch cake pan, covering the bottom. This will be the bottom layer of the tart.
6. Spread the yogurt on the bottom of the tart.
7. Mix all the filling ingredients together and then place on top of the first layer of dough. 8. Cover with the second rolled-out layer of dough, fully covering the filling.
9. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour or until darker golden brown. Let cool for an hour or more and then serve.