Lemongrass Lamb Noodle Salad
Note: this recipe requires a sous vide appliance, which enables you to cook in a consistently low-temp water bath. We use Nomiku.
1 lb lamb loin
1 stalk lemongrass, tough outer stalk removed
1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
1 tsp. turmeric
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tsp hoisin
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
2 Tbsp. coconut milk
3 medium carrots
1 medium fennel bulb
2 C water
1.5 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
3 Tbsp. white distilled vinegar
7 ounces thin rice stick noodles(1/2 of a 14-ounce package)
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 cup peanuts
1/2 C fish sauce
1/2 C lime juice
1/2 C sugar
3/4 C water
2 cloves minced garlic
1 Thai chili cut into thin rounds
1. Make the spice mix. Take the following ingredients and run through a food processor until a paste is formed: ginger, turmeric, garlic, hoisin, fish sauce, and coconut milk.
2. Prep lamb. Preheat sous vide (Nomiku) in water to 140 degrees. Place lamb and spice mix in a food safe bag. Make sure the lamb is fully coated in the spice mix. Submerge the bag in water with the Nomiku for 1 hour.
3. Pickle your vegetables. Julienne or matchstick carrots and thinly slice the fennel bulb. Combine vegetables with water, sugar, vinegar, and salt in a food safe bag and submerge along side the lamb for 15 minutes.
4. Boil noodles. While that is all going boil rice stick noodles. Pick cilantro leaves off their stems for garnish. Roast peanuts in a dry skillet until lightly toasted, and crush for garnish.
5. Make dressing for the salad. Whisk together the dressing ingredients until emulsified.
6. Slice lamb. When lamb is finished take out of the bag and sear on both sides. Slice thinly.
7. Assemble. Place noodle portions in medium sized bowls. Put the thinly sliced lamb on top. Take a handful of pickled veg and place on one side of the bowl. Cilantro garnish goes on the other side of the bowl. Sprinkle crushed peanuts over the lamb. Serve dressing on the side.