Pear Upside Down Cake, from Food and Wine
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
4 medium, very firm Bosc pears—peeled, cored and cut into eighths
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
2 Tbsp. minced crystallized ginger
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger root (or 1/4 teaspoon dry)
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter.
3. Add the pears and cook over high heat, stirring, until crisp tender. Add 4 tablespoons of the butter, the brown sugar and honey and stir over moderate heat until melted.
4. Off the heat, arrange the pears in an overlapping ring, with the pointed ends facing the center. Fill the center with pears and sprinkle with the crystallized ginger.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg and salt.
6. In a large bowl, cream the remaining stick of butter. Add the granulated sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time. Add the vanilla.
7. Beat in the dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with the milk. Spoon the batter evenly over the pears, spreading it to the edge.
8. Bake the cake on the bottom oven rack for 30 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Let cool for 10 minutes, then invert a plate over the skillet. Quickly invert the skillet to release the cake. Replace any pears that stick to the skillet and drizzle any remaining syrup over the cake. Let cool before serving.
Savory Pear & Onion Galette with Lemon Verbena
Recipe from Brittany of sparklekitchen.com
1 pie dough recipe – I used cassava flour and palm shortening with a dash of salt. (Trisha Hughes has a great recipe.)
⅓ cup sweet onion – thinly sliced
½ tsp coconut oil
3 bosc pears – thinly sliced into ⅛”
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ tbsp flour (I use cassava)
1 tbsp fresh lemon verbena
½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp honey
½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Prepare your pie dough and roll it out onto a piece of parchment paper.
2. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
3. In a medium-sized skillet, lightly sauté onions with ½ teaspoon salt and coconut oil over medium heat for three minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Toss the sliced pears in ½ teaspoon salt, lemon juice, flour and lemon verbena.
5. Assemble the galette by first placing the onions on the rolled out pie dough. Leave a one inch edge around the perimeter to allow room for folding. Arrange the pears on top of the onions. Be careful to not layer more then three stacks of pears, as they will likely slide out of the crust while baking. Then fold over the edges to just cover a bit of the onions and pears.
6. Keeping the galette on the parchment paper, transfer it carefully onto a baking sheet.
7. Brush olive oil onto the dough and sprinkle with a dash of salt. Bake for 35 minutes.
8. While baking, mix together the honey and balsamic vinegar. Remove from oven and drizzle this over the galette.
9. Place back in the oven and continue baking 10 minutes until crust is golden brown.
10. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving and then top with more balsamic vinegar honey drizzle.