Soil to City Storyteller
Our Soil to City Storyteller will tell the journey our food takes from soil to city as well as engage our community through social media and blog development. We seek a kind and creative individual to strengthen our food system by finding interactive ways to show how awesome our farmers are, enhance education around food transparency, and document recipes. You will also manage a Local Roots Market. This position will give you a hands on experience with the local food landscape in NYC and you will be in direct contact with innovative farmers and food producers.
– Connect our community with their food by helping to tell the stories of our farmers and other food partners through social media, web based efforts, and various forms of documentation (photography and film)
– Document recipe instructions through photography and film
– Form relationships between Local Roots NYC and other like-minded food groups through social media platforms.
– Help strategize and implement various educational/marketing campaigns
– Develop content for blog and write product descriptions for ecommerce
– Pilot our new recipe/food education subscription share
– Create flyers and food “look books”
– Enhance Pinterest with recipes
– Engage more New Yorkers with our local roots food system
– Manage a Local Roots market (see above description)
– Has a strong online presence and has used social media/web for business purposes
– Experience with engaging and activating communities on social media
– Has relationships with local food groups, food bloggers, chefs, food publications, and others within the NYC local food landscape
– Strong attention to detail and comfortable with being persistent to obtain farmer updates
– Strong writing and storytelling skills
– Strong organizational and time management skills
– Skilled in food photography and videography
– Knowledgable about SEO optimization for web and social media
– Responsible for developing and implementing marketing strategies
– Has an understanding of blog development
– Experience in sales preferred
– Experience with Adobe Suite, final cut or another film editing program
– Past experience with or has a great passion for the local food system and sustainable living. Puts their passion to practice with their own life
– Cooks at home, familiar with seasonality of produce in NYC
– Self driven and ability to present and execute new ideas for projects
– Social, fun, and creative while also hard working
Time Commitment A minimum of 20 hours per week is required for this position. Within that time commitment, you must be available during one of our market hours. Unfortunately, this position is not ideal for students due to scheduling purposes within a small business.
Compensation: Pay is hourly plus a complimentary vegetable share, and discounts to other market offerings. This position begins ASAP.
To apply, send a brief cover letter and resume to WenJay@LocalRoots.NYC by May 10 with subject line “Soil to City Storyteller”. Please include availability; market locations and times can be found on our website. Cover letter should include:
1. What is your ideal work culture?
2. How do you express gratitude towards your coworkers?
3. How would you use your skills to show the values we hold dear to our hearts at Local Roots: a strong connection with your farmer, community, and culinary education. Please be specific as possible.