Soil to City Market Leader
Local Roots NYC is looking for site leaders to help manage our weekly produce markets at neighborhood bars and cafes and will ideally live in the same neighborhood as the market you manage.
The Soil to City Market Leader must be able to convey information about our farms and suggest recipe ideas to members, learn about food transparency and share with others, set up and break down markets, and help others pick up their food. You will also have the opportunity to strengthen our neighborhood outreach. It’s a fun and engaging way to learn more about local and seasonal foods and meet other like-minded New Yorkers.
– Setup and breakdown of the weekly market
– Engage with and assist Local Roots members in picking up their groceries
– Inspire our members with creative cooking and recipe ideas
– Attend monthly staff meetings
– Learn about shares and the farms we work with to convey information to members
-Inspire our members with creative cooking and recipe ideas
– Engage and build community around the work of Local Roots in the neighborhood
– Conduct outreach for new members through flyering in the neighborhood, as well as at weekly markets
– Have lived in neighborhood the market is located for at least six months or know neighborhood well.
– Passionate about the local food system
– Extremely organized and pays close attention to detail
– Part of a strong social network or experience as a community organizer
– Outgoing, friendly personality and an enthusiasm to convey information
– Excellent customer service and communication skills, must be well-spoken
– Sales experience preferred
– Ability to problem solve on the spot, good at multi-tasking
– Enjoys working independently in a customer service oriented environment
– Interested in building community around local food at our markets
– A love for cooking at home, familiar with seasonality of produce in NYC
– Active in social media and proficient in food photography preferred
This position is unpaid. Instead, we offer a full share of vegetables managing a market and other food items for each additional site (additional sites not mandatory). You will be more active in NYC’s local food system, be closer to your food source, and share your knowledge and passion of food or nutrition with others.
Time Commitment Local Roots markets run once a week, on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday evenings. Most sites span a two hour pick up window, with some additional time for set up and break down. The commitment is about 3 hours weekly and one monthly meeting, plus additional time to read weekly update emails. Site leaders must be able to commit to the weekly timeframe for their given site,