Join Our Team
Grow the NYC local food system with Local Roots NYC!
We seek to grow Local Roots NYC as a mindful business that empowers New Yorkers to be home chefs by offering the freshest, local, sustainable food through our weekly produce markets that pop up in neighborhood bars, cafes, or your office. We offer recipes to pair with our weekly offerings, engaging culinary workshops, and a community of food-loving New Yorkers. We believe a stronger connection to our food, neighbors, and land can create tremendous positive change.
We are a small team with a big vision; we support each other in our work, geek out about food and farms, work hard, encourage creativity, and embrace ideas for improvement and new programming.
Scroll down for more info.
Operations and Food Sourcing Manager
Sales and Member Engagement Manager
Community Volunteer Positions
Market Site Leader
Food Sample Prep and Recipe Development
Free veggies and fruit (the best you’ll ever taste)
Paid vacation and sick time
Discounts on our products
Fun and kind coworkers
Weekly group lunch
Work closely with amazing local producers and be a champion for our food system
Being part of a team that values your ideas and personal well-being
An immersive experience in food distribution and a local food system
Operations and Food Sourcing
You are responsible for the “back of house” and behind the scenes work for New Yorkers to receive their weekly food. You will curate weekly farm shares and work closely with our farmers, oversee deliveries and operations, and help supervise a small team. This job will also give you an opportunity to visit our farms and develop additional farm/producer partnerships to diversify our food offerings.
– Curate weekly farm shares and place orders with farms and producers
– Maintain high sourcing standards for additional shares, create “bundles” of our food offerings
– Manage a cost-effective and high quality supply chain
– Work with farms to ensure product availability for Winter and Spring seasons
– Oversee small warehouse team and operations as they pack and organize produce for our markets, create efficient driving routes, coordinate with producers for deliveries
– Coordinate with producers and market host locations regarding logistics and schedules
– Communicate with our market site leaders with weekly updates
– Create weekly packing slips and inventory sheets
– Cultivate nourishing and productive work culture by planning educational staff meetings and fun social hang outs
– Conduct seasonal check ins with staff
– Upkeep of the office, including ordering office supplies and other various needs within the office
– Experience managing employees and ability to present ideas of ways to enhance our community at work
– Experience working in operations, logistics, and creating time-efficient delivery schedules, min 1 year
– Strong communication and organizational skills
– Has done food ordering of perishable foods
– Personable, works efficiently, detail oriented, feels comfortable in a leadership role
– Takes initiative to presents own ideas for ways to improve systems
– Valid drivers license and has driven in NYC
– Cooks frequently and solid understanding of farms, agriculture, and sustainability growing practices
– Experience with creating value added products or grab and go food items desired
– Minimum of 1 year experience working in the NYC food or farm industry
– Strong network in the food industry desired
– Seeks a small business work environment that is fast paced and fluid, thrives in self-management of projects
– Looking to grow with our company
This position is $35-40k salary based on experience
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with subject title “Operations and Food Sourcing” by Sept 20 that addresses the following questions:
1. Why does this position resonate with you and what skills/experiences do you have that will strengthen the work of Local Roots NYC through this position?
Sales and Member Engagement
You will be responsible for growing our Farm Share membership base and maintain relationships with our current members.
- Work with founder to create sales strategies, actively seek and grow membership to our Farm Share program
- Leverage current customer base to generate new members through a brand ambassador and referral program
- Establish new institutional sourcing relationships with schools, universities, and healthcare facilities
- Create effective ways to promote the variety of products we offer
- Be a positive and knowledgeable representative of Local Roots NYC at events and throughout our community
- Respond to customer service inquiries and ensure the happiness of our members
- Explore new sales opportunities with our market host locations
- Manage a Local Roots market: checking members in, distributing food, suggesting recipes, cultivating a vibrant and social shopping experience
- Ability to clearly articulate the service and value proposition of Local Roots NYC to possible customers in fast paced environments
- Proven successful sales experience and relationship building, min 1 year
- Experience in community building or developing brand ambassador programs
- Strong interpersonal sklls. Must be personable and enjoys speaking with others
- Cooks frequently and has a proficient understanding of farms, agriculture, and sustainability growing practices
- Extremely organized, self-starter and a team player, able to successfully execute projects with minimal management
- Eager to improve systems and offer ideas for growth
- Minimum of 1 year experience working in the NYC food or ag industry
- Eager and willing to “jump in” when needed for additional projects
- Experience with guerilla-style marketing preferred
- Familiar with the dynamics of healthcare facilities or other institutions, and corporate wellness programs desired
- Strong network in the food industry desired
- Seeks a small business work environment that is fast paced and fluid
- Looking to grow with our company
- Passionate for the mission of Local Roots NYC and our values
This position is $35k salary with commission
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with subject title “Sales and Sourcing Team Leader” by Sept 20 that addresses the following questions:
1. What is one sales strategy you believe could prove successful for Local Roots NYC?
2. Why does this position resonate with you and what skills/experiences do you have that will strengthen the work of Local Roots NYC through this position
Community Market Site Leader
Local Roots NYC is looking for site leaders to help manage our weekly produce markets at neighborhood bars and cafes and will ideally live in the same neighborhood as the market you manage.
The Community Market Site Leader must be able to convey information about our farms and suggest recipe ideas to members, learn about food transparency and share with others, set up and break down markets, and help others pick up their food. You will also have the opportunity to strengthen our neighborhood outreach. It’s a fun and engaging way to learn more about local and seasonal foods and meet other like-minded New Yorkers.
– Setup and breakdown of the weekly market
– Engage with and assist Local Roots members in picking up their groceries
– Inspire our members with creative cooking and recipe ideas
– Attend monthly staff meetings
– Learn about shares and the farms we work with to convey information to members
-Inspire our members with creative cooking and recipe ideas
– Engage and build community around the work of Local Roots in the neighborhood
– Conduct outreach for new members through flyering in the neighborhood, as well as at weekly markets
– Have lived in neighborhood the market is located for at least six months or know neighborhood well.
– Passionate about the local food system
– Extremely organized and pays close attention to detail
– Part of a strong social network or experience as a community organizer
– Outgoing, friendly personality and an enthusiasm to convey information
– Excellent customer service and communication skills, must be well-spoken
– Sales experience preferred
– Ability to problem solve on the spot, good at multi-tasking
– Enjoys working independently in a customer service oriented environment
– Interested in building community around local food at our markets
– A love for cooking at home, familiar with seasonality of produce in NYC
– Active in social media and proficient in food photography preferred
This position is unpaid. Instead, we offer a full share of vegetables managing a market and other food items for each additional site (additional sites not mandatory). You will be more active in NYC’s local food system, be closer to your food source, and share your knowledge and passion of food or nutrition with others.
Time Commitment Local Roots markets run once a week, on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday evenings. Most sites span a two hour pick up window, with some additional time for set up and break down. The commitment is about 3 hours weekly. Site leaders must be able to commit to the weekly timeframe for their given site,
To apply, send a few sentences stating why you would like to be a site leader and resume to [email protected] (no deadline) with subject line “Site Leader Position”. Please include availability; market locations and times can be found on our website.
Food Sample Prep and Recipe Development
You will create food samples to be distributed at our weekly markets to help engage New Yorkers with new dish ideas! You will also create the recipes that are printed as recipe cards. This opportunity will not only bring your dish creations to hundreds of New Yorkers a week, but it will help educate and inspire around home cooking.
This is an excellent opportunity for chefs and culinary students, and will put you in touch with our network of food influencers, members, and producers as well as get a complimentary vegetable share. You would begin Sept 11 and can prepare dishes at home. We want you to tap into your culinary creativity and prepare dishes you love. Preferably, these samples would be made every single week.
Email [email protected] all year round if interested.